tabs

Friday, January 14, 2011

GOALS FOR 2011

I had a draft of my goals for the year finished last week. Then came Sunday. Daryl, who married D and me, preached a sermon on humility.

It was convicting. It changed the way I think. It forced me to rethink my goals.

So I've spent the past five days thinking about my goals; reworking them.

And here they are... reworked, re-thought out, refocused.

MOM:
  • Get everything in place  for K to attend preschool in the fall
  • Plan one outing with K each week
    • library
    • museum
    • pool
    • spray park
  • Read to K every day
  • Introduce one new food/recipe every two weeks
WIFE:
  • Plan one date night per month 
  • Plan five year wedding anniversary celebration
  • Encourage, support, and help D plan for his sabbatical
  • Train for and run at least one race together
  • Read book with D and take action accordingly
FRIEND:
  • Plan 12 coffee dates (one per month with a freind)
  • Organize an event for K's friends and their moms quarterly
    • cookie decorating
    • backyard sprinkler party
    • picnic in RCP
  • Make and start getting out with a running buddy
COMMUNITY / FAMILY:
  • Volunteer
    • at a local running / triathlon event
    • in one of the many neighborhood groups
  • Plan a family trip to California for Christmas 2011 
ATHLETE:
  • Run 1250 miles (that is 2011 km)
  • Achieve half fanatic status by June 2011
  • Set personal records (PRs) in half and full marathon
  • Race a 5K and a 10K
  • Run one race in my Vibrams
  • Do strength training at least twice per week
  • Cross train at least once per week
    • yoga
    • spinning
    • swimming
HEALTH:
  • Lose 10 pounds
  • Introduce K to health behaviors --- get her outside and moving at least three times per week
    • yoga
    • swimming
    • bike riding
    • walking
  • Make / try a new healthy snack each week
  • East at least 4 fruits / veggies each day
STUDENT:
  • Defend dissertation by July 2011
  • Complete at least three papers for publication by September 2011
CAREER:
  • Practice patience
  • Apply only for jobs I am excited about
  • Make a list of what I really want to do and necessary steps to get there by June 2011
  • Write out 3-, 5-, and 10- year goals
  • Explore some non-traditional part-time opportunities
FINANCE:
  • Set aside enough money to pay for K's preschool 
  • Brainstorm ideas to make extra money
HOME:
  • Paint, furnish, and decorate K's big girl room
  • Paint living room
  • Choose color and paint our bedroom
  • Plant garden with K in the spring
PERSONAL GROWTH:
  • Read books on my to be read list:
    • Born To Run
    • Breaking Dawn
    • Celebration of Discipline
    • Anatomy of the Soul
    • Me, Myself, and Bob
    • Run Like a Mother
    • Chi Running
    • Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families
    • The Help
  • Read Bible (all of it before end of year)
  • Learn how to use my camera
ME:
  • Plan a me outing each month
    • spring shopping with ACE
    • afternoon at the library reading
    • walk around The Mall 
  • Pay for and get one massage
  • Complete a year long photo challenge (commence in February)
  • Save money for:
  • Get spinning instructors certification   

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Ok, reading your list was freaking inspirational! I did my Looking Back post, now I need to work on my goals for this year!

I really like the idea of reading a book with John and putting it into action. We're reading a parenting book together for our Sunday School class, but I think one on finance or anything, really, would be good for us.

You're the bomb, Beck!