tabs

Sunday, January 6, 2013

2012: LOOKING BACK

**Written December 31, 2012

Tonight I am home alone. D and the kids are celebrating the New Year (or at least eating a celebratory dinner) with friends. I'm recovering from a nasty bout of bronchitis. Today is my first full day since Christmas without a fever. I think the antibiotics are finally starting to kick in. Maybe, just maybe, I'll be feeling better tomorrow. In addition to my personal recovery, I'm cleaning the house and trying to disinfect everything I have touched since Christmas. K is just over strep throat, which kept her down and out for nearly five days (with antibiotics). Thankfully, C has not gotten sick yet, but surely it is just a matter of time...

Having some quiet time on New Year's Eve isn't such a bad thing. It has given me time to relax, reflect, and be at peace. And, like the last few years, I am taking the time to look back over the past year by answering a few simple questions my good friend, Jill, compiled.


What was one goal you accomplished in 2012?
I ran PRs at both the full (4:03) and half (1:54) marathon distances.

What is your favorite memory of 2012?
Finishing the Richmond Marathon with D.

What is your least favorite memory of 2012?
I went through a really rough patch in March. The whole situation was a crazy-bad memory - at times it still haunts me.

What was the best trip you took in 2012?
We didn't travel much this year. Just several trips to Pennsylvania and then to Richmond for marathon weekend. I'm really looking forward to answering this question next year after we've taken our B-I-G family vacation to California.

What was your favorite purchase in 2012?
These running shorts. I love them. I also bought these shoes (though they have not been delivered yet).

What was the best book you read in 2012?
The best book I completed was Train Like a Mother.

What was the best movie you saw in 2012?
I did not watch a single movie this year. I did, however, watch the first season of Homeland and I am hooked.

What changed about you in 2012?
I slowed down. I made time for little, but important things --- evening walks to the zoo, long training runs with D, pancake breakfasts, coffee with friends, writing letters, visiting with friends and families. I really enjoyed this past year; I enjoyed my kids, my husband, my friends, DC, and my job.

What made you cry in 2012?
K's behavior and unwillingness to listen (especially at naptime and bedtime) caused me to cry on more than one occasion. Sadly, I wrote the exact same thing last year.

What made you scream in 2012?
The family of mice that have made their home in our home. I scream when I see them running through the kitchen or when they are caught in a trap. I hate, hate, hate mice.

What made you proud in 2012?
I received a-mazing student evaluations last spring.

What new skills did you learn in 2012?
I learned a new statistical software - SPSS. I'm still partial to SAS, but was required to teach SPSS in my statistics class. I enjoyed the challenge of learning a new software and teaching it to my students.

Best meal of 2012?
Without a doubt, it was my birthday dinner at Tamari in Lawerenceville. D and I split several small dishes - favorites were the homemade guacamole and shrimp tacos. We finished our meal with limoncello. It was perfect.

Best drink of 2012?
D's homemade whiskey sours. They are best when served in a glass with sugar in the raw coating the rim and with homemade maraschino cherries.

Favorite photo of 2012? (post it)




What was your source of comfort in 2011?
Baking. We made everything from sweet breads to granola bars, pancakes to sandwich bread this year. It smelled good and was not only a comforting time, but enjoyable time with K.

What was your verse of 2012 and why?
"He has shown you what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."
~Micah 6:8
 This is a powerful command. One that I needed (and still do) to be reminded of each day. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading these! I need to do one of these once I get my act together. Jill