tabs

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Wii

Being the wonderful Uncle and Aunt that David and I are, we purchased a Nintendo Wii as a gift for our three nephews (and my VERY excited brother-in-law, Robert), who live in Taiwan. The Wii is not yet available in Taiwan; it is still hard to buy in the U.S.

After weeks of trying to track down a Wii, I secured one last week. On Monday it arrived in the mail. Since we are taking the Wii to Taiwan when we go next month, we thought it was prudent to try it out and make sure everything is in working order. It would be so disappointing to get to Taiwan and have a non-functioning video game system. Since David and I don't have a TV (yes, we are that crunchy - vegetarians without a TV in Washington DC), we had to beg our good friends, Ted and Martha, to allow us to come over to their house last night with our new video game system. Ted allowed it only because he was thinking of the children (read: our nephews). In truth, he and David were SO excited to try the Wii out. They were like little children on Christmas morning.

I, on the other-hand, was skeptical. I'm not a huge video game fan; never have been. When David and Ted busted out the Wii and started playing baseball, tennis, and duck hunting, I have to admit I was excited. The Wii is like no other gaming system. The games are easy to play and the controllers are SO easy to use. If you are golfing, you swing the controller like you'd swing a golf club. If you are playing baseball, one person pitches the ball and the other one swings the bat (as David and Ted are doing in the picture below).



Much to my surprise, I ended up playing a fishing game and a cow driving/racing game. And I enjoyed it! The cow driving/racing game, which is part of WiiPlay, was my favorite. I'm looking forward to playing some golf and tennis with my nephews when we are in Taiwan.

------------------------------------------------------

SCHOOL UPDATE: I am registered for classes for the fall semester and am feeling completely overwhelmed. A full course load at Maryland is five classes per semester. This fall I will be taking: Principles of Epidemiology, Principles of Biostatistics, Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Health Education & Promotion, and Health Survey Research Methods. I'm going to school tomorrow to turn in some paperwork and get my student ID. I'm also hoping to visit the bookstore and buy my books.

2 comments:

WASPy Girl said...

Yikes! Those classes sound hard. I bet your books cost like half a million dollars.

I didn't know you were vegetarians. How did this come to be? Though I should have been able to deduce this from your previously printed menu.

slowly growing old together said...

Yes - books were EXTREMELY expensive. $600+. I was able to get a couple of used books, which helped. Next semester will be able the same. I'm so anxious.

As for my vegetarianism... I married into it. David has been a vegetarian for 10 years (maybe more). I stopped eating me when we started dating seriously. We do eat fish. And, hospitality always trumps our dietary preferences. If we come to your house and you make a wonderful steak dinner, we'll eat it up! The effort you put forth and your willingness to have us over is WAY more important than our preferences.

Did you notice that our wedding reception was vegetarian???