tabs

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

CHOCOLATE CAKE

It's been nearly two and a half days now that I have gone without dairy, chocolate, and nuts. I miss eating trail mix when I get home in the afternoon. And I miss adding REAL milk to my cereal and coffee. Yesterday I went grocery shopping and stocked up on my favorite non-dairy, non-chocolate, and non-nut snacks and breakfast items. In the coming weeks and months, I can look forward to snacking on:

maple syrup/brown sugar instant oatmeal
kettle corn microwavable popcorn
ginger snap cookies
shredded mini-wheats
carob favored rice milk.

Believe it or not, but the rice milk is better than I expected. I just need to get past the chalky texture.

Needless to say, I'm still a little depressed about my current situation. But I realize that it is only temporary and it is best for the little one. We do not need another bloody diaper. My heart cannot handle it. So I've been complaining a little bit to some of my friends. I can't help it... it's not like I'm giving these items up for Lent. I was told to stop eating them right away. Without any warning.

I was complaining to my friend, Andrea, on Monday night. She was extremely sympathetic and even had some ideas for snacks I could make to help with my salt/nut and chocolate cravings. And then what did she do for me... last night she and Angie brought me a VEGAN chocolate cake. It is made with cocoa powder, which I am allowed to have (as long as no milk was added to it).
The cake had a powdered sugar and rice milk icing. It was AMAZING. This whole vegan, no nut, no chocolate diet doesn't seem that bad after all.

I'm so grateful for such wonderful friends (and the yummy cake).

------------------------------------------------------------------

The baby: no bloody diapers since Sunday. We go back to the pediatrician on Friday for her four month check-up and shots. I hate those visits.

Sleep: the little one slept from 7:50pm until 6:00am last night. She had a brief wake up at 11pm that was quickly resolved by re-swaddling her and giving her a pacifier (she's cutting her second tooth).

Husband: passed his microsoft VMware certification test this morning. I'm so proud (unfortunately I have no idea what WMware is...it has something to do with computers).

The weather: it's 65 degrees here today. I'm heading out for a run and to pick up the baby.

2 comments:

littlebeemama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

Hey Beck. I'm really impressed with your dedication. I love food so much, I don't know if I could stick it out. Good for you for getting creative.

I once made vegan brownies (similar recipe) and I froze them individually wrapped, so you can have one whenever. I honestly like them just as much as regular brownies.

How are the diapers going?