tabs

Sunday, May 4, 2008

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE?


I love Neil Diamond - love the songs, the sequins shirts, the cheesy lyrics, EVERYTHING. I have loved him since I was young and am proud to say I bought tickets from a scalper to see him live in Atlanta. It was a great show!

I've been thinking a lot lately of Neil's song It's a Beautiful Noise. The song is about the sounds of the city - what he calls "the music of life". With the springtime weather FINALLY arriving in DC, we have been keeping our windows open day and night. Along with the fresh air coming through the windows, are the sounds of the city. And, honestly, in my neighborhood I'm not sure they are a beautiful noise.

This weekend was filled with a host of noises. David and I woke up to the sounds of our "loud neighbors" yelling at their kids and each other at 7:30 on Saturday morning. Early Saturday afternoon, our back alley was filled with the noises of a cop car, an ambulance, and a fire truck. I'm not sure what happened, but a man was taken away on a stretcher. As the sun began to fade on Saturday evening, the party began. Our neighbors played hip-hop music on their outside speakers until well after 11pm. While showering Sunday morning, I heard some loud Spanish pop music being played. One of our neighbors behind us decided to wash his car to some LOUD tunes. One of our other neighbors didn't appreciate the sound too much and called the police. Fifteen minutes later three police cars zoomed into the alley and put a stop to the morning concert.

As I've been studying this afternoon, my head has been filled with more hip-hop music and the sounds of our other loud-talking (but very kind) neighbor talking about his well manicured yard. A host of police cars have zoomed up and down our street and there have been several loud motorcycles. There's also the sounds of dogs barking and kids playing.

So I ask myself are these beautiful noises? Are these the types of noises that Neil sang about? Are they "a sound that I love" like Neil sang about?

I'm not sure, but I'm sure time will tell...

No comments: