tabs

Friday, May 8, 2009

DC IN THE SPRING

Thousands of people flok to DC in early April each year to get a glimpse of the cherry blossoms. And it is beautiful. The Tidal Basin and Haines Point are blanketed in pink. When the wind blows pedals float through the air. It's like snowflakes the color of cotton candy. It is beautiful each year and I love going downtown to see the trees in their full glory.

Another one of my favorite spring sights in DC is the flowering of the azalea collection at the National Arboretum. Tens of thousands of unique and beautiful azaleas have been on disply each spring since they were planted 61 years ago. It is beautiful, and unfortuately, not everyone knows about the collection. There are so many different colored buses - red, pink, purple, white, yellow, orange, and coral, to name a few. And there are even b
uses that have been bred to bloom with multi-colored flowers. It is crazy to see a single bush with white and pink flowers. Below is an assortment of photos from our visit to the azaleas this past weekend.






1 comment:

Emily said...

Becky, I love the arboretum i spring. My favotrite pic of myself as a kid is in fornt of a gorgeous azelea bush flowering. Thanks for reminding me about it! (I also love their huge weeping cherry tree)
Emily