tabs

Saturday, November 15, 2008

A GOOD START



The 2009 NYC Marathon is 50 weeks and one day away. With this fact in mind, I gathered myself - both physically and mentally - and went for my first training run this morning. I haven't run since mid-June when my belly size and extreme heartburn forced me to stop. I've felt ready to hit the road again for about a week now, but have lacked the motivation to actually get out there. With temperatures near 70 this morning and an extra hour and a half of sleep (D took the baby between her 5:00 and 8:00 feedings), I decided that TODAY I would begin my quest to get back in shape.

I set out today with the goal of running for 30 minutes. I did it. It wasn't pretty and it wasn't fast. But it was a good start. And it felt so good. I probably won't be able to walk tomorrow. My plan to get back into shape includes 3-4 runs per week from now until the new year. Hopefully I'll be up for running the five miles around the lake at my parents' house at Christmas time. I'm also planning to do some strength training. The baby likes when I do squats while holding her - so I can work that into my daily routine. I'm also going to do abs daily and push-ups. Come January I'll set some new training goals...

In addition to my exercise goals, I still have about six pounds of pregnancy weight to loose. Although I'm (proudly) back wearing my size six jeans, I'd like to get back to my fighting weight. My aim is to loose this weight over the course of the next eight weeks (which will be a challenge with the holidays approaching), but I think I can do it. I think I can. I think I can...

Overall I'm feeling really good about my run this morning and am looking forward to my next one. Here's to sticking with my fitness goals and kicking butt in the 2009 NYC marathon!

------------------------------------------------------

Bread baking: made a loaf of sour dough bread yesterday. It is wonderful. So glad I made a large loaf.

Weekend plans: friends coming over for dinner tonight. David is cooking veggie terrine.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yay Becky! I didn't officially "work out" until Ben was 5 months old, so I'm very impressed with you!