tabs

Thursday, September 24, 2009

THAT'S A BIG BABY

K is a peanut. She's weighing in at about 17 pounds WITH a diaper on these days. She is petite.

When I heard that a woman in Indonesia gave birth to a 19 pound baby a couple of days ago, I nearly fell out of my chair. There are times when carrying K around is hard work. I cannot imagine carrying a baby 2 pounds heavier without neck control. Crazy...

Not surprisingly, the baby's mother had gestational diabetes. It was untreated. (shocker)

In a clip from the TODAY SHOW, Al Roker made a funny when he said that the big baby looked at the little (read: normal sized newborn) baby lying beside him all swaddled up and thought, "Mmmm...burrito. Must get you in my belly!"

Also in today's news... NPR did a segment on Pittsburgh (host of the G-20 summit) this morning. The story painted the city in a really positive light. At the end of the segment a woman named Kate Bensen was interviewed. I think I went to high school with her (she was my brother's year and valedictorian of his class). The segment is worth listening to/reading.

1 comment:

WASPy Girl said...

I read an article yesterday about how babies weighing more than 8.8 pounds are considered overweight...and can be attributed to lack of exercise.

That's what I was afraid of with my gestational diabetes.

I'll have to listen to the NPR clip. The WSJ also had a couple of very favorable articles.