Wednesday, September 30, 2009


...of a wife, mama, PhD student, and marathon runner.

5:00am: alarm goes off

5:10am: out the door for a 3.5-4 mile run

6:00am: in the shower (downstairs - for fear of waking the baby by showering upstairs)

6:15: in the kitchen - brewing coffee (HIGH priority), assembling lunches (D usually has everything made the night before; I just have to put it in tupperware), preparing breakfast, packing K's lunch in a cooler which then goes in her stroller. All of this is done in my towel (cannot afford the extra trip upstairs -- too much time and no need to make an extra pass by K's room).

6:30: upstairs to get dressed.

6:30: average time K is up and ready to nurse

6:45: change K's diaper, get her dressed for the day, and pack extra diapers in her bag.

7:00: downstairs - place K's diaper bag at door (so it is not forgotten) and begin feeding her breakfast.

7:10: upstairs to dry hair and finish getting dressed

7:20: microwave oatmeal or toast my toast

7:28: kiss K and D good-bye

7:30: in car and on the way

7:50: on beltway to get to 95N. Must have breakfast (which I do eat in the car) finished because I cannot drive 75+ miles per hour and eat at the same time

8:30: at school ready to start the day!


Getting up and exercising before leaving for the day is HARD. But I feel so good afterwards and it makes my afternoons so pleasant. I'm not fretting over when and how I'm going to get a run in. I'm looking forward to the time change in November - hopefully it won't be as dark when I hit the pavement at 5:10am.


Sarah said...

You. Are. Amazing.

The End.

I mean that.

I feel lucky to be semi-conscious at 7a.m. for surgery. And I certainly am not running 4 miles prior to that.

Katherine said...

That is very ambitious Becky! I will think of you when I wake up at 5am to be at work by 6. Its a good thing I am not a marathon runner, I'd have to get up at 3:30am :)

Ruthie said...

I wish I had your discipline, Becky!

My morning routine involves rolling out of bed at 8:30am, pulling hair into a bun (having fallen asleep with it wet, yet again), feeding L breakfast, heading upstairs after our nanny arrives, and sitting on my butt in front of a computer for 8-9 hours.