tabs

Saturday, January 24, 2009

CAUGHT LYING

As I was on my way out the door this morning for a run (yup, I was up and out the door before 7:30), David asked if I would stop by the store to pick up some buttermilk on my way home. He said if there wasn't buttermilk I could get regular milk. He wanted to make biscuits for breakfast. So I ran (to Union Station to buy train tickets to Baltimore, which I didn't get but that's another post), metroed home, and stopped at the grocery store. There were only 1/2 gallon jugs of buttermilk and that seemed like too much. The last time we bought a 1/2 gallon of buttermilk we had a lot of biscuits and buttermilk pancakes and we still did not finish the jug before it spoiled. It seemed wasteful to buy another 1/2 gallon. And I just wanted milk. I think the whole nursing thing makes me crave dairy.

So I went with the regular milk. Using it in pancakes or biscuits would be fine.

I came home to find D feeding the baby (she took a bottle from him...HOORAY!). I put the gallon of regular milk in the refrigerator and started to put my running gear away (iPod, gloves, hat, etc...).

David then asked: "They didn't have buttermilk?"

I responded sheepishly, "Nope."

To which he replied, "You're lying. That's the first time you've ever lied to me."

And he was right. I made the choice not to buy the buttermilk, but I didn't want to admit to him that I wanted regular milk and thought it was wasteful to have a 1/2 gallon of buttermilk. He really wanted to cook with buttermilk. So I lied. I didn't want to have to justify my grocery store decision.

But I was caught.

Obviously I'd make a bad poker-player. D wasn't mad that I bought the milk I wanted. And there wasn't enough time to have breakfast together this morning anyways. After admitting that I had lied, D forgave me.

Lessons learned: 1) either buy the buttermilk or be willing to own up to your decision not to buy the buttermilk, and 2) don't lie no matter what.

--------------------------------------------------------

Last night: another good one. Only up once (3:30am) and was back to sleep by 4:15.

The bottle: the baby doesn't like it. She's been really fussy about taking one since Christmas-time and it is TOTALLY stressing me out. We've been practicing every day and obviously she had to drink from it when she's with the nanny. The fact that she willingly ate with David this morning (even after I walked in the door) is HUGE. I think we are making progress.

The nanny: we have a wonderful nanny, who we are sharing with a family of a five month old boy. I'm excited that our little one will have a friend her age and that our nanny is so kind and gentle. She has been so patient with the whole bottle situation, which is such a blessing.

1 comment:

WASPy Girl said...

I hate that they only sell buttermilk in the half-gallon container. It is so wasteful. I always end up throwing it away because it spoils so FAST. They should put it in 1-cup containers like they do heavy cream.

BTW, congrats on being done with comps. I remember the feeling. I actually didn't pass one of my sections, but I took it over and lived to tell about it even though it really sucked. I'm sure you'll pass with flying colors!!