tabs

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

SILENT

I lost my voice.

I am sick.

My throat hurts; my head aches; I am exhausted.

Everyone told me that when K went to school this year I should be prepared for her to get sick more often. Sure little girl was really sick before Thanksgiving, but other than a stuffy nose here and there she has been so healthy. I, on the other hand, have been sick too often this winter. First there was the sinus and ear infections at Christmas. Now I have some viral throat and upper respiratory thing going on.

My throat hurts so bad.

I feel like I am breathing through a straw - my lungs feel inflamed and constricted.

Yesterday I made the terrible mistake of teaching a three hour class. Most of the class period was spent working on an exercise, but I also lectured for nearly an hour. By the time I was finished, I was SO tired and my voice was SO weak. I have spent all day trying to recover from last night and getting myself to a better place healthwise.

With two kids, a job, preschool pick-up and drop-off, household chores, dirty diapers, and a training schedule I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the present moment. I simply do not have time to be sick. I'm not sure how my body is going to recover or if there is enough time for it to do so. I skipped my spinning class on Monday and today I only did 2.5 miles. I may skip my spinning class again tomorrow depending on how I sleep tonight and feel tomorrow.

Part of me wishes I had the ability to stay in bed all day and just heal. But that isn't my reality. I can though choose to listen to my body. I can get to bed at a decent hour, I can skip workouts and rest, I can shorten my class or decide not to lecture at all.

I need to get well.

I need my voice back.

I need to rest and then get back to normal day-to-day activities.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

There is nothing worse than Mommy being sick. Hang in there. I will hope for a speedy recovery.

Becca said...

Rest, rest rest! And I can't believe you still did 2.5 miles when you were sick. Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Don't feel guilty about canceling class. Your students will actually love you for it :)

J.

P.S. Feel better so that I can see you this weekend!