tabs

Saturday, March 28, 2009

A LITTLE BIT OF 'ME' TIME

The past few weeks have been crazy with midterms, a sick child, travel, and the general day-to-day chores and activities. I'm also a little sleep deprived, which makes everything a little more dramatic than it really is. After admitting to myself last night that I am overwhelmed, I've decided I need to make some changes. Nothing too big, but I need some daily 'me' time.

Realizing that I cannot add a extra hour or two to the day and not wanting to sacrifice too much sleep, I'm going to start small. Each evening after dinner and before bed, I'm going to set aside 15 minutes of 'me' time. During this time I am not allowed to do homework, write a to do list, do chores, or get things ready for the next day. This 15 minutes is about doing something I want to do. FOR ME. For instance, I have several crochet projects waiting to be finished. I also have a new book sitting around (My Own Country - a Diane Rehm recommendation).

This morning I spent nearly a full hour sitting in the living room crocheting a baby hat. It was such an enjoyable time. And the hat is nearly halfway finished. It felt so good to do something that I wanted to do. And to have a halfway finished hat to show for the time is icing on the cake.

Hopefully a little bit of 'me' time will go a long way to improving my mental health and well-being.

In the same vain, I'm aiming to get out for at least four runs each week. This means I might be out running at 8pm or 5am, but I'm going to get my runs in. I feel so much better when I have exercised each day (or every other day).

No comments: