tabs

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

HALF MARATHON

I've completed three full marathons, but have never raced just a half.

When I finished the NYC Marathon in the fall, I was fired up and ready to try my hand at some new race distances and really challenge myself in distances I have run. So I signed myself up (D, too) to run the Pittsburgh 1/2 Marathon.

And race day is just about here.

I'm really excited about the race for several reasons:

1. it's in Pittsburgh - my hometown, the site of my first race (the Great Race in 1989), and home to my parents (READ: free place to stay, home cooked meals, good company, and free babysitting!!).

2. I'm running with D. We attempted to run the Cherry Blossom together, but that didn't exactly work out. Our last race together was a Jingle Bell 10K in 2007, right before I found out I was pregnant with K. I'm looking forward to some quality racing time with D.

3. I've been training REALLY hard. I've put in 360+ miles of training since January 1st. I've been pushing myself to maintain a pace under 9:00/mile.

I'm ready to go!

I have three goals for the race:

1. finish with a smile on my face.

2. finish with D.

3. finish the 13.1 miles in under 2 hours.

According to the McMillian Running Calculator, the 10K I ran on Sunday predicts I'll be able to run a 1:56 1/2 marathon.

Do you hear that legs? mind? tummy? heart?

You can do this. Under 2 hours is possible!

No comments: